WHAT IS THIS AND WHY HAS IT OCCURRED?
Sciatica is a set of symptoms including pain that may be caused by general compression and/or irritation of one of five nerve roots that give rise to the sciatic nerve, or by compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve itself. Although sciatica is a relatively common form of low back pain and leg pain, the true meaning of the term is often misunderstood. Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. This point is important, because treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms will often be different, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain,which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg. Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body.
HOW CAN WE ASSIST?
• A full assessment to determine the underlying cause of the sciatica
• Education on the condition, what you should and shouldn’t do at home, postural education, time frames with healing and ways to prevent re-injury.
• Joint mobilization and/or manipulation to restore full movement of all Lumbar vertebra.
• Soft tissue massage and electrotherapy modalities for pain relief and to release muscle spasm caused by the sciatic pain.
• Core stability/strengthening programmes to stabilize the lumbar and abdominal region.
• Progressive stretching programmes facilitate a return to full mobility.
• Guidance on gradual return to sport/activities.
• Postural correction and strategies to prevent recurrence.