WHAT IS A CALF STRAIN?
A calf strain often occurs following rapid acceleration from a stand still or overstretching the muscle (such as having your heel drop unexpectedly off a step or kerb while running). You will often feel a tearing sensation and sudden pain alerting you to the muscle tear. Typically the injury will occur where the muscle meets the tendon or in the inside muscle belly of your calf.
WHAT SYMPTOMS MAY I EXPERIENCE?
• Pain: usually quite localized to the area of the muscle tear
• Pain and/or difficulty rising up onto your toes
• Swelling or bruising to the calf muscle
• Pain when palpating the site of the muscle tear
HOW CAN WE ASSIST YOU?
• Ice and/or electrotherapy modalities, such as TENS, to assist with the reduction of pain and swelling
• Soft tissue work and gentle stretches to help release any tightness
• Strengthening exercises involving progressions and sport-specific exercises
• Extra support such as heel raises to take the strain off the injured muscle